We are a family run business with years of experience in catering for visitors of all ages looking to enjoy the peace and quiet of the countryside. We aim to assist during your stay or whilst planning your visit. Our current facilities and services offered are:
- We cater for tents ,touring caravans, motorhomes and have privately owned static caravans on site.
- Our website gives general directions and detailed directions via Google Maps and is up to date with tariffs and up and coming events.
- A link is available from our website to this access statement and a copy of our brochure is available in large print on request.
- We offer fax, E-mail and staff always accept Type Talk calls.
- We can offer assistance in the following languages – French,German,Spanish.
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
- At the entrance to the site there is a car park where there are two designated parking bays for guests with a disability.
- In front of the shop/reception there is space to park whilst registering having been allowed through the barrier via staff in reception, subsequent access to the site is via a swipe card which opens the barrier , operated from within your car/motorhome.
- There is a second car park at the rear of the clubhouse in the vicinity of the doors for disabled access.
- All facilities are clearly signed , black writing on a white background and there is a large wall-mounted plan of the site next to reception.
Main Entrance, Reception & Ticketing Area
- There is space directly in front of reception to pull up with the largest of motorhomes or caravans for registering purposes.
- There is a step into the shop/reception (25cm) which is level throughout, the door is 75cm wide. Staff can give assistance getting wheelschairs into the shop over the step.
Public Areas – general
- Tarmac roads are provided from the entrance to the park to the touring field.
- Speed bumps around the site control traffic speed along with maximum speed of 5mph signs.
- Guests with a disability are actively encouraged to choose pitches closer to the reception area avoiding the longer walks from pitches at the top of the park.
Public Areas – Sitting room, lounges, lobbies etc
- The patio area in front of the clubhouse is level and available to customers even when the club is closed. They can make use of the chairs and tables and shelter from the sun or rain under the club house awnings.
- The patio area is accessed avoiding any steps.
- See also the Club and entertainment section.
- See Touring Facilities section.
Restaurant / Dining Room, Bar & Bar area, Take Away & Cafe
- See clubs and entertainment
- Level access throughout and there is a small step into the building.
- There is one top loading washing machine and one front loading tumble dryer.
- The shop is in the same building as the reception and shares the same entrances and parking.
- Not available.
- Not available.
- There is a netted play area on the touring field and a play area for younger children behind the clubhouse with swings , slide and climbing frame.
- The surface of the play area is completely covered in wood chippings.
- Seating is provided around the area. There is a 1m wide entrance to the play area allowing access for wheelchairs.
Conference & Meeting Rooms, Banqueting
- Not available.
Clubs & Entertainment
- The clubhouse is level throughout and has a unisex disabled facility within it’s toilet block.
- Extraction fans throughout the clubhouse.
- Access to the clubhouse is via wide double doors (168cm wide), a car can be pulled up directly to these doors.
- Staff are prepared to clear additional space for a wheelchair inside the clubhouse on request, moving any chairs to accommodate.
Bedrooms & Sleeping Areas
- Not available.
Bathroom, Shower-room & WC [Ensuite or Shared]
- Not available, see touring facilities for a description of the shower block.
- Not available.
Caravans, Holiday Homes & Twin Units
- The majority of statics are privately owned, those for sale are advertised on our website.
- The park has one wheel chair friendly caravan available for hire. The unit has a access ramp to gain entry to the holiday home which has been specifically designed as a wheelchair friendly holiday environment.
Everything about the caravan is immediately accessible and provides a safe, unobtrusive space to allow freedom of movement and comfort for all. From the wide, 2 panel door entrance leading through to even wider aisles, to the open plan lounge with its movable dining furniture,the kitchen with low level sink and worktop
The twin bedroom allows for one bed to fit under the other to provide space and the master bedroom includes a patient helper for assistance getting in and out of the beds. The bathroom, now larger, features a low threshold shower with half doors, along with adjustable seat and grab handles, as does the WC.
- The park have extensive experience of design and construction of purpose built verandahs with any handrails and ramping requisite for
Touring Facilities (Holiday Parks)
- Please let us know if you require a hardstanding or grass pitch in the vicinity of the shower block and shop/reception and this can be arranged.
- All pitches are flat. The amenities block is located behind the shop/reception and there are disabled facilities with the clubhouse toilet block.
- Separate Ladies and Gents toilets , each with ramped access and handrails. Each has a large disabled cubicle which has a toilet ,washbasin (height 80cm) and shower. There are twelve washbasins in total.
- Adjacent to the Ladies is the dishwashing facility, two stainless steel sinks and draining boards (under space height 94cm) with hot and cold water.
- The majority of pitches are level grass and there are over a dozen level hardstands and a 22 superpitches (with water and drainage at the pitch).
- Parking on grass alongside your caravan/motorhome/tent is allowed.
- Assistance on pitching is always offered on arrival.
- There are numerous water points and firepoints on the park which are detailed on a large colour coded map of the park on the wall outside of reception.
- The Elson (chemical waste) and dustbin areas are located at the entrance to the touring field – there are more bins behind the shop and the recycling area. Access is via a wide flat concrete floor.
Boats – Narrow Boat, Cruiser & Hotel Boat
- Not available.
Attractions (Displays, exhibits, rides etc.)
- Local attractions are detailed on the park website with links to the relevant tourist websites.
Grounds and Gardens
- There is extensive outside lighting around the park at ground level for the touring pitches and entrances and high level around the walkways. Dusk ‘til dawn sensors ensure the lighting comes on when required.
- Mobile phone coverage is good.
- There are local bus services to Durham and Newcastle within 3/4 miles from the park entrance.
- A noticeboard outside the reception area contains up-to-date information on bus-timetables, site tariffs, site rules, up-and-coming events on-site, taxi numbers and brochures for local tourist attractions.
- We at Bobby Shafto have extensive experience of assisting guests with special requirements due to disability. A recent example is we had the Deaf and Dumb Caravan club stay here for a week, which they thoroughly enjoyed – they have been before and will return again.
Address: Bobby Shafto Caravan Park
Telephone: 0191 3701776
Fax: 0191 3701783
Minicom: not available
Grid reference: Lat = 54 degrees, 53.0 minutes North
Long = 1 degrees, 38.5 minutes West
Hours of operation: Reception 9am-6pm , warden outside these hours
Emergency number: 0191 3701776
Local carers: 0191 3871991
Local equipment hire companies: Claypath 0191 3840319
Local public transport numbers: Go North East (buses) 0845 6060260
Local accessible taxi numbers: Dean Taxis 0191 4877777
ABC Taxis 0191 4108767
- Enlargement of the entrance car park is planned.
- A ramped access into the shop reception area.
Contact Telephone and Email Address
We welcome your feedback to help us continuously improve if you have any comments please phone 0191 3701776 or email email@example.com